Learn different types of nouns, Generally, there are five types of nouns in the English language.
The Noun that specifies the name of a specific person, place, thing, or idea in any sentence.
Most of the sentence contains a subject is also called a Noun.
examples: Mr. Anderson, Jimmy , Israel, Temple, Seashore, Singapore, Democracy, Car, Friendship, Book, Tiger etc.
Examples of the Noun
- Mr. Anderson is the richest person in Asian Countries.
- Singapore is a beautiful place to roam.
- His father purchased him a new car on his birthday.
- Our friendship remains forever.
Types of Noun
If we categorize according to the name of a particular place, person, thing, or an idea in a sentence then a Noun is again classified into five different categories-
1. Proper Noun
The proper noun refers to the name of a specific person, place, thing, or idea. It always begins with a capital letter to represent a name.
examples: Miss Jane, Smith, Antarctica, Samsung,Harley Davidson bike etc.
Examples of the Proper noun
- Miss Jane works as a receptionist in the Ford hospital.
- Antarctica is an ocean that is situated in the South Pole.
- He bought a brand new Harley Davidson bike yesterday.
2. Common Noun
A common noun is simply a general name. A name for an unspecified place, person, or thing, so it does not need any capital letters.
examples: Book, Car, Temple, Lamp, Subway, Teacher, Baby, Woman, Father, Window
Examples of the Common Noun
- Her husband is a public servant.
- This woman saves a kitten from the dogs.
- I always wanted to buy a car.
- The teacher is coming to the classroom.
3. Collective noun
A collective noun indicates a group of individuals, things.
examples: battalion, crew, committee, government, audience, team etc.
Examples of the collective noun
- This battalion performs better on the battlefield.
- One member of the crew is absent today.
- The committee members already approve of this decision.
- The government is going to release a welfare fund for backward villages.
4. Abstract noun
An abstract noun expresses feelings, ideas, qualities that are unable to touch or experience.
examples: anger, happiness, truth, liberty, character, love,freedom etc.
Examples of the abstract noun
- He took all his anger on his neighbor.
- Always speak the truth with your elders.
- Raghav is the right character person.
- He respects the value of freedom of choice of her wife.
5. Material Noun
A material noun is a noun that describes the name of the material of which the things are made.
examples: money, aluminum, gold, water, wood, brass etc.
Examples of the Material Noun
- Uranium is used to manufacture Nuclear bombs.
- Blacksmith uses iron to make weapons.
- Consumption of an egg and milk is beneficial for health.