What is a collective noun? definition of collective noun and list of collective nouns.
A collective noun is a type of noun that expresses a name for a collection of a bunch of several people, objects, things, animals, etc. it is simply a word for a particular entity that is made for more than one person, idea, thing, or animal.
It is simply a class of something which they own.
Examples of Collective Noun
Examples of some common collective nouns are as follows.
- People: family, class, army, crew, colony, staff, crowd, team
- Things: bunch, album, group, pack, comb, list, pack
- Animals: herd, hive, fold, bale, clutter, flocks, troop, pod
Examples of Collective Noun in Sentences
- This class is going to the assembly right now.
- The decision of the jury is the final decision of the court.
- There will be a holiday on Saturday to the school on account of Christmas.
- She comes along with a catalog of jewelry.
- A patrol car is rounding up the entire city at night.
- You have to answer in front of the council.
- Andrew took a bouquet with him while going to Zara’s home.
- The meeting of staff members will start after an hour.
- I am from the Sahara Regiment, batch 25.
- There was a tribe living in the forest.
- The overall performance of the team is appreciable.
- Our party is going to introduce this agenda to the Parliament.
- A huge round of applause is coming from the side of the Audience.
- In ancient times, most of the people lived in a joint family.
- Our band group is going on a tour of Amsterdam.
- The Indian Army is the third-largest army in the world.
- Management has decided to organize an annual gathering.
- A press conference is held in the Hotel paradise.
- We have to win all the league matches to qualify for the finals.
- A herd of bison was struck with spears.
List of Collective Nouns
1. collective noun list for animals
- an army of ants
- a broad of quail
- a catch of fish
- a cloud of insects
- a flight of birds
- a flock of sheep
- a haul of fish
- a litter of cubs
- a nest of mice
- a pride of lions
2. collective noun list for person
- an army of musicians
- a body of men
- a class of students
- a crew of sailors
- a dynasty of kings
- a group of dancers
- a line of kings
- a mob of rioters
- a staff of employees
- a tribe of scouts
3. collective nouns list for things
- a bale of cotton
- a batch of bread
- a battery of guns
- a bowl of rice
- a cloud of dust
- a comb of bananas
- a forest of trees
- a hedge of bushes
- a pack of cards
- a stack of wood