Present Perfect Tense
The present perfect tense denotes an action that has just been completed or finished at the time of speaking.
It is a grammatical combination of present tense and past aspect, which shows the happened action in a present situation. It is nothing but a link between present tense and past tense.
Formula of Present Perfect Tense
Subject + have/has + verb ( past participle ) + object
Here, the helping verbs have/has can be used along with the verb, which is in past participle form, to show the completion of the action in a present situation.
“Has” can be used with the second person like he, she, it, respectively.
And “have” can be used for the first person as well as the third person like I, you, we, they, respectively.
- I have completed my homework.
Sentence Structure & Rules
There are four possibilities of writing any sentence or a statement in present continuous tense form,
- Positive statements
[Subject + have/has + verb (v3) + object]
- Negative statements
[Subject + have/has + not + verb (v3) + object]
- Yes/no type question statements
[have/has + subject + verb (v3) + object + ?]
- Wh- type question statements
[Wh- type word + have/has + subject + verb (v3) + object + ?]
Examples of Present Prefect
- He has completed the mission. (positive)
- He has not completed the mission. (negative)
- Has he completed the mission? (yes/no)
- Where has he completed the mission? (wh-type)
- I have believed in you. (positive)
- I have not believed in you. (negative)
- Have I believed in you? (yes/no)
- Why have I believed in you? (wh- type)
- She has become a pilot in the airforce. (positive)
- She hasn’t become a pilot in the airforce. (negative)
- Has she become a pilot in the airforce? (yes/no)
- When has she become a pilot in the airforce? (wh-type)
- They have gone trekking. (positive)
- They haven’t gone trekking. (negative)
- Have they gone trekking? (yes/no)
- Where have they gone for trekking? (wh-type)
More: Examples of Present Perfect Tense
A] Complete the following sentence by using the appropriate verbs to make it a present perfect sentence as a positive statement.
(discuss, decide, submit, perform, finish, reach, complete)
- I ________already ________ the documents for a quotation.
- He ______________ well in the practice session of the football match.
- We________ already ___________ this situation in the meeting.
- The doctor _____ successfully ____________ the heart surgery of the patient.
- They _____________ to start a new band group.
- Robin and Smith both ______________ their lunch very fast.
- I have already submitted the documents for a quotation.
- He has performed well in the practice session of the football match.
- We have already discussed this situation in the meeting.
- The doctor has successfully completed the heart surgery of the patient.
- They have decided to start a new band group.
- Robin and Smith both have finished their lunch very fast.
B] Fill in the blanks with the correct verb form and complete the following sentence to make it in the present perfect tense as a negative statement.
- Braiynn has not laughed in the classroom for which he got punished. (laugh)
- Her father _______________home in the morning from work. (reach)
- The final match of the cricket world cup ________________ place because of the heavy rainfall. (take)
- She ___________________ anything yet about the money. (tell)
- Zoya __________________herself for the seminar. (prepare)
- They ________________ any diamonds from the locker room. (stole)
more exercises present perfect tense
1. Present Perfect Continuous Tense
2. Present Continuous Tense