Simple Present Tense
A simple Present Tense is a verb form of a sentence that tells about the action, circumstance which happens regularly, or occurrences.
The simple present tense is used to talk about general things, and not only the present situation.
It is used to tell what happens sometimes, all the time, or which is true. The simple present tense is also used when we used to say or suggest something.
Formula of Present Simple Tense
Subject + verb (s/es) + object.
Here, the Verb is in its base form.
There are three possibilities of writing any sentence or a statement,
Sentence Structure Rules
Structurally, the simple present tense can be written in this format.
- Positive statements
[Subject + verb (s/es) + object]
- Negative statements
[Subject + do/does + not + verb + object]
- Question statements
[Do/does + subject + verb + object + ?]
In some statements like negative and question sentences, we use do/does with the subject.
- Use do and do not (don’t) with the first person and third-person subject for question statements and negative statements like I, we, you, they.
- Similarly, use does and does not (doesn’t) with the second person subject for question statements and negative statements like he, she, it respectively.
Examples of Present Simple Tense in Sentence
- He plays the piano. (positive)
- He does not play the piano. (negative)
- Does he play the piano? (question)
- Romie loves to eat burgers. (positive)
- Romie does not love to eat burgers. (negative)
- Does Romie love to eat burgers? (question)
- We produce biogas from manure. (positive)
- We do not produce biogas from manure. (negative)
- Do we produce biogas from manure? (question)
- I come from Paris. (positive)
- I do not come to Paris. (negative)
- Do I come to Paris? (question)
Exercise of Present Simple Tense
A] Complete the following sentence by using the appropriate verbs.
( believe, play, eat, need, cause, held, opens, write, live, revolve )
- Anthony _______ a letter.
- I never _______ bananas.
- The theatre _______ at 9 o’clock.
- Damaged roads _________ many road accidents.
- The cricket world cup ________ place every four years.
- His elder brother _______ in Chicago.
- She ________ in God.
- The Earth __________ around the Sun.
- Wheat ________ medium water to grow in farmland.
- They ________ basketball games daily.
- Anthony writes a letter.
- I never eat bananas.
- The theatre opens at 9 o’clock.
- Damaged roads cause many road accidents.
- The cricket world cup holds place every four years.
- His elder brother lives in Chicago.
- She believes in God.
- The Earth revolves around the Sun.
- Wheat needs medium water to grow in farmland.
- They play basketball games daily.
Put the correct verbs and fill in the blanks.
Use do/does/don’t/doesn’t wherever necessary.
(grow, understand, like, look, come, like, smell, belong, complete, reopen)
- Martha _________ his classmate Jonathan’s behavior. (not)
- Which month ______the school?
- Apples ___________ in hot climates. (not)
- ______ she ________ here on time?
- I _________ your attitude. (not)
- I usually ________ to meet my daughter in her hostel.
- ______ you __________ my words?
- This perfume _______fantastic.
- The Doctor _____ after his patients in the hospital.
- You _______ to this place.
- Martha doesn’t like his classmate Jonathan’s behavior.
- Which month reopens the school?
- Apples don’t grow in hot climates.
- Does she come here on time?
- I don’t like your attitude.
- I usually look to meet my daughter in her hostel.
- Do you complete my words?
- This perfume smells fantastic.
- The doctor understands after his patients in the hospital.
- You belong to this place.