Present Continuous Tense
Present Continuous Tense is a verb form of a sentence that tells about the ongoing action, events, or something that has happened around us.
It is not necessary whether the action is happening or not happening at the time of speaking.
Formula of Simple Future Tense
Subject + helping verb (is / am/ are) + main verb (ing) + object.
Here, Verb (ing) is the present participle form of the verb, and helping verbs (is/am/are) are used by a class of person as the first person (am), second person (is), and third-person (are) respectively.
It is formed along with the subject in a sentence with the verb in the form of present participle and a helping verb.
For example, She is eating her breakfast.
Here, the Verb is in its present participle form.
Sentence Structure & Rules
There are four possibilities of writing any sentence
- Positive statements
[Subject + am/is/are + verb (ing) + object]
- Negative statements
[Subject + am/is/are + not + verb (ing) + object]
- Question statements
[am/is/are subject + verb (ing) + object + ?]
- The short answer (yes/no) form statements
[yes/no + comma (,) + subject + am/is/are + not (for no type) + verb (ing) + object]
Here, for short answer statements, we have to use not in a sentence if the statement starts from no.
Examples/sentences of Present Continuous Tense
- You are dancing on the stage. (positive)
- You are not dancing on the stage. (negative)
- Are you dancing on the stage? (question)
- Yes, you are dancing on the stage. (short answer)
- She is staring at him. (positive)
- She is not staring at him. (negative)
- Is she staring at him? (question)
- No, she is not staring at him. (short answer)
- I am feeling thirsty. (positive)
- I am not feeling thirsty. (negative)
- Am I feeling thirsty? (question)
- No, I am not feeling thirsty. (short answer)
examples of present continuous
Complete the following sentence by using the appropriate verb form to make it a Present continuous sentence.
( go, drive, behave, play, come, look, stay, wait, work, increase )
- Thomas ________ at my company.
- They ____________ a football match.
- I ___________ for a new manager for my office.
- ______ they __________ from Las Vegas to participate in the cultural fest?
- She __________ with her colleague in a hostel.
- You __________________ like a mature person. (not)
- The pollution of this city ____________ day by day. We have to do something.
- ______ you _______ to punish me?
- I __________ my vehicle in the wrong lane.
- Ryan and Jayson both ___________ for the train.
- Thomas is working at my company.
- They are playing a football match.
- I am looking for a new manager for my office.
- Are they going from Las Vegas to participate in the cultural fest?
- She is staying with her colleague in a hostel.
- You don’t look like a mature person. (not)
- The pollution of this city is increasing day by day. We have to do something.
- Are you behave to punish me?
- I am driving my vehicle in the wrong lane.
- Ryan and Jayson both are waiting for the train.
Fill in the blanks with the correct verb form and complete the following sentence in the present continuous form.
- They are _________ something from us. (not/ hide)
- The thief ______________ that he is the real culprit. (not/ admit)
- Molly ________________ in front of the whole committee members. (apologize)
- _____ you ________ to the shopping mall for Christmas shopping? (go)
- Be quiet. She ____________. (sleep)
- Yes, she ____________ a large teddy bear doll with her. (bring)
- The doctor ______________ her legs during Yoga classes. (spread)
- ______ he __________ a place to hide from the rain? (look)
- John ________________ to his father’s funeral. (not/come)
- No, I ________________ this property to anyone. (sell)
- They are not hiding something from us.
- The thief isn’t admitting that he is the real culprit.
- Molly is apologizing in front of the whole committee members.
- Are you going to the shopping mall for Christmas shopping?
- Be quiet. She is sleeping.
- Yes, she is bringing a large teddy bear doll with her.
- The doctor is spreading her legs during Yoga classes.
- Is he looking for a place to hide from the rain?
- John isn’t coming to his father’s funeral.
- No, I am selling this property to anyone.
exercise of present continuous tense
1. Present Perfect Tense
2. Present Perfect Continuous Tense