The phrasal preposition is a collection of words or phrases that meet the noun or pronoun in a sentence. Two or more than two words together with any preposition when functions then it is called a phrasal preposition. That connects a noun, pronoun, or phrase.
It is just a part of a sentence that does not stand alone to form a meaningful thought. It is used to express a single thought together as a unit.
On behalf of, on account of, concerning, in spite of, to the fact that, on time, at home, before class, on the floor, in addition to, by means of, according to, owing to, in favor of, etc., are some phrasal prepositions.
Examples of Phrasal Prepositions in sentences
- There is a lake in front of my house.
- She made pizzas in spite of making burgers.
- As for him, he knows everything about astrology.
- Tomorrow is your holiday on behalf of Christmas.
- He has proven guilty, according to the statements of the victim.
- I was not present at the meeting because of illness.
- I am working from home instead of going to the office.
- She told me that in addition to all the tasks done, I also cover these topics.
- They could not win the match in spite of the hard work.
- Stop behaving like a child in front of me.
- He failed in the interview, owing to his poor body language.
- The jury members gave their decision in favor of the opponents.
- He doesn’t want to come in any case because he wasn’t invited.
- We have to pass the exam for the sake of scholarships.
- The friends and family came together in the end.
- You have to communicate in English just for a while.
- According to philosophy, this is not true.
- He climbed up the hill.
- We are coming to the fact that public opinion is right.
- Considering the demand, I will increase production.
List of Phrasal Prepositions
- In favor of
- Owing to
- According to
- By means of
- In addition to
- On the floor
- To the fact that
- In spite of
- On account of
- On behalf of
- In front of
- In any case
- For the moment
- In love with
- In the end
- For a while
- Up the hill