Proverbs in English
The proverbs are the traditional part of language and conversation. We often use the proverbs when we use to give an example and even suggestions to others. Using proverbs in a conversation makes it short, clever sentences, including proverbs, usually offer advice.
Proverbs can even also represents the culture of the country and the language of that place. It makes people understand the behavior of a person, whether it is good or bad in behavior.
That is why we have covered here 50+ best English proverbs in this post for you to understand easily and correlate with the language. The proverb consists of powerful words with a pleasant meaningful sentence that illustrates a specific point.
We have to remember several proverbs to make them useful while having a conversation which helps to improve one’s vocabulary and also social skills. Most of the popular proverbs are often asked in some of the competitive exams.
By reading the proverbs given in the list below, you can easily understand them and enhance your skills and use them in your conversation as their meanings are also explained for better understandings.
Common Proverbs in English for students with meanings
- A Friend in Need is a Friend Indeed
Meaning: A true friend is one who helps you in every situation whenever you need it.
- A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words
Meaning: If someone wants to explain something, that it is easier to explain with the help of a picture than by words.
- Actions speak louder than words
Meaning: if you want to speak something with your words, better speak with action. This shows that how you actually feel more than what you say.
- All good things come to an End
Meaning: Nothing lasts forever, no matter how good it is.
- All is Well that ends Well
Meaning: It doesn’t matter how hard your journey was if it ends well with a good result.
- All that Glitters, is not Gold
Meaning: Sometimes, something might not be as valuable as it seems to be in real.
- An Apple a Day keeps the Doctor Away
Meaning: If you eat an apple a day, you eat healthily, so you don’t need a doctor, and you will be healthy.
- An Idle Brain is the Devil’s Workshop
Meaning: Evil thoughts comes easily in our mind when our brain is Idle.
- As you Sow, so shall you Reap
Meaning: Your actions determine your results. or Your hard work determines your outcome.
- Barking Dogs, Seldom Bite
Meaning: People who look threatening outside are often harmless from inside.
- Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder
Meaning: The perception of beauty varies from person to person.
- Beggars can’t be Choosers
Meaning: People who depend on the generosity of others must be content with what is offered to them. They have to accept what is given to them.
- Better Be Alone than in a Bad Company
Meaning: Make yourself away from the bad people and avoid their company.
- Better be Late than being Mr. Late
Meaning: It is always better to reach late at your destination than to lose your life.
- Better Late than Never
Meaning: Doing things in time is always better but Doing something late is better than not doing it at all.
- Cleanliness is next to Godliness
Meaning: It is necessary to be clean yourself. God exists in a clean place, whether it is a heart or a place.
- Don’t Bite the Hand that feeds You
Meaning: Don’t be mean to such people who help you.
- Don’t judge a Book by its Cover
Meaning: Don’t judge people by their outer appearances. They may look poor but rich by heart.
- Empty vessels make more Noise
Meaning: Stupid people are more talkative the normal.
- Enjoy it while it lasts
Meaning: Make the best of every moment in your life because it won’t last forever.
- Every Cloud Has a Silver Lining
Meaning: There is always a positive side to any difficult situation. We have to think positively in every situation. enjoy it
- Every Dog has its Day
Meaning: Everyone attains success at some point in their life.
- God helps those who help Themselves
Meaning: The hard workers always be blessed by God.
- Good things come to those who wait
Meaning: Patience is always rewarded. The time itself takes the time to change itself.
- Honesty is the Best Policy
Meaning: Being honest shows the best characteristics of yours. It shows that you have a good character.
- Hope for the Best, Prepare for the Worst
Meaning: Always ready for the worst situation in your life but wish for a pleasant life.
- If you can’t beat ’em, join ’em
Meaning: If the other person is more powerful than you. Don’t mess with him, make a friendship with him.
- If you want Something done Right, You have to do it Yourself
Meaning: Don’t depend on someone else to do a good job. Do it yourself.
- It’s Better to be Safe than Sorry
Meaning: It is better to take precautions than to regret later
- It’s Never too Late to Mend
Meaning: It’s never too late to begin from the start.
- It’s Not Over till it’s Over
Meaning: Till the event has completely played. You’re still in with the chance to succeed.
- Keep your Friends close and your enemies closer
Meaning: If someone is your enemy, treat them like a friend so you can be ready if they ever try to betray you.
- Laughter is the Best Medicine
Meaning: Laughter makes you feel happy and is also the best cure.
- Learn to Walk before you Run
Meaning: Try to start things easily rather than making them complicated.
- Like Father, Like Son
Meaning: The father and the son has several similarities.
- Mind your own Business
Meaning: It is not good to interfere in someone else’s matter.
- Money doesn’t grow on Trees
Meaning: Earning money is not like a lottery system. It requires efforts to earn it.
- Necessity is the Mother of Invention
Meaning: When you really need something, you will definitely find a way to meet the need.
- Never put off tomorrow what you can do Today
Meaning: Never delay a task for the other day, if you can do it immediately.
- Never Trouble Trouble, Till Trouble Troubles You
Meaning: Always try to be prepared in your life.
- No Gain Without Pain
Meaning: if you want to achieve success, you must have to work hard.
- Once Bitten, Twice Shy
Meaning: One unpleasant experience in life leads to caution.
- One man’s junk is another man’s Treasure
Meaning: What may seem to be junk to one person can be valuable to another person.
- One shouldn’t miss the Forest for the Trees
Meaning: Sometimes, you get so focused on small details that you may miss the larger context.
- People in Glass Houses shouldn’t Throw Stones on Others
Meaning: the person who is struggling in his own life will not have to advise others.
- Practice makes a man Perfect
Meaning: You can become a better person with any skill by practicing it daily.
- Rome wasn’t Built in a Day
Meaning: Good work takes time. Have patience!
- Strike the Hammer While the Iron is Hot
Meaning: Grab the opportunity at the most favorable time.
- The Enemy of my Enemy is my Friend
Meaning: If someone whom I don’t like doesn’t like someone else whom I don’t like, we can act like friends and unite against the other person.
- The First step is Always the Hardest
Meaning: Stepping out of the comfort zone is the hardest step in life.
- The Grass is Always Greener on the Other side of the Fence
Meaning: It is not good to be jealous of the happiness of other people. Instead of thinking about what everyone else has, be thankful for what you have.
- The Journey of a Thousand Miles Begins with a Single Step
Meaning: It is necessary to take the first step to reach your goal. No matter how long your journey will be? Put your initial step.
- The Pen is mightier than the Sword
Meaning: Written words are more effective than brute force means the pen is more powerful than a sword.
- The Show must go On
Meaning: A lot of problems may come, but we have to continue Ignoring such problems.
- Time and Tide never wait for Anyone
Meaning: You don’t have any control over the passage of time. It will keep going. So don’t procrastinate, don’t delay things.
- Time is Money, Don’t Waste It
Meaning: The value of time is like that of money, not to waste it unnecessarily.
- Time is more valuable than Money, Better save it
Meaning: In today’s generation, time is more valuable than money. Use it carefully, don’t waste it.
- Two Wrongs don’t make a Right
Meaning: You shouldn’t harm a person who has harmed you, even if you think that person deserves it.
- What Goes Around, Comes Around
Meaning: If someone treats other people badly. Then he will eventually be treated badly by some other one.
- Where one door shuts, another opens
Meaning: When you lose an opportunity to do one thing, another opportunity to do something else will appear.
- Where there is a Will, there is a Way
Meaning: If you are determined about your will. You will definitely find a way to achieve what you want in life.
- You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar
Meaning: It is always better to be sweet with others than to be rude to them. don’t
- You can’t always get what you want
Meaning: Sometimes, you may face disappointments in your pursuits, or your wishes may not be fulfilled.